"Diamond 2" dental chair, foot pump, by the S.S. White Dental Manufacturing Co., Philadelphia, USA, 1925-1935
Known as the ‘Diamond 2’, this dental chair was the first to have a non-sprung anatomically shaped seat. The chair was more comfortable than previous designs. As specialised furniture, dental chairs symbolised the emergence of dentistry as a separate profession. The quality of the chair suggests wealthy clientele were willing to pay for dental services.
The first hydraulic dental chair was invented in 1877 by American dentist Basil Manly Wilkerson (1842-1910). The chair was easier to adjust than older wooden ones. These had worked using a hand-cranked mechanism. This was made by the S. S. White Dental Manufacturing Company of Philadelphia in the US.
- Object Number:
base: 560 mm,
- hydraulic dental chair
- furnishing and equipment
- tools & equipment
- dental equipment
- dentist's chair
- Taylor, A.M.
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
View manifest in IIIF viewer
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.