Clear glass shop round for Quinine

Made:
1801-1850 in England

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Bottle, shop round, clear glass, for liquid quinine, from Savory and Moore, English, first half 19th century

This glass bottle was once on the shelves of the prominant English chemists Savory & Moore (active 1794-1992), who were based in London. The label shows that the amber liquid in the bottom is quinine. Quinine is used for pain relief and to prevent fevers and for a long time was the primary treatment for malaria.

The shop round or bottle has a black and gold label fixed as a transfer to the glass. These bottles were typically used in pharmacies in the 1800s to store liquid preparations.

Details

Category:
Medical Glass-ware
Collection:
Sir Henry Wellcome's Museum Collection
Object Number:
A638057
type:
shop round liquid, quinine and shop round
credit:
Loan, Wellcome Trust