Bottle of Terramycin with original contents and original carton, England, 1964-1966

Made:
1964-1966 in Folkestone
maker:
Pfizer Limited
Bottles of "Terramycin" and propylene glycol

Creative Commons LicenseThis image is released under a CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 Licence

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Bottles of "Terramycin" and propylene glycol
Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Bottles of "Terramycin" and propylene glycol, with contents and teat-pipette and instructions in original carton, by Pfizer Ltd., English, c. 1965.

After the discovery of penicillin, other antibiotics were developed. These were generally based on chemicals produced by micro-organisms – like the mould which produced penicillin. In 1949, the drug company Pfizer developed ‘Terramycin’, a brand name for the multipurpose antibiotic whose later generic name was ‘Oxytetracycline’.

Details

Category:
Medical Glass-ware
Collection:
Sir Henry Wellcome's Museum Collection
Object Number:
A640338
Materials:
carton, paper, bottle, glass, cap, plastic, cap, rubber and cap, metal
Measurements:
overall: 62 mm x 78 mm x 28 mm, .05kg
type:
oxytetracycline

Parts

Instruction leaflet

Instruction leaflet

Instruction leaflet

Materials:
paper
Object Number:
A640338 Pt1
type:
instructions