Bottle of ergot extract, London, England, 1891-1950

Made:
1891-1950 in London
maker:
Parke, Davis and Company Limited

Buy this image as a print 

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Bottle of ergot extract, by Parke, Davis and Co., London

Ergot is derived from a fungus and it was used by midwives and doctors in the 1800s to promote contractions in birthing women. Directions on this bottle state the content was only to be used under medical supervision. Ergot also stopped bleeding after childbirth, but was also a traditional remedy to induce abortions. This glass bottle of ergot was manufactured by the London subsidiary of American company Parke, Davis and Co.

Ergot grows naturally on rye and other cereals. Eating too much can cause long-term poisoning, known as ergotism. The condition is sometimes referred to as ‘St Anthony’s fire’. In the past, local outbreaks of ergotism affected towns and villages across Europe. Symptoms include convulsions and hallucinations. The effects of the poison have been historically linked to accusations of witchcraft in affected communities.

Details

Category:
Medical Glass-ware
Object Number:
A640364
Materials:
bottle, glass and stopper, cork
type:
ergot, extract and solution
taxonomy:
  • furnishing and equipment
  • container - receptacle
  • vessel
  • drug

Cite this page

Rights

We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.


Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero


Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence

Using our data

Download

Download catalogue entry as json

Download manifest IIIF

Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.