Graduated dropper bottle for chloroform (cased), made by S. Maw Son and Thompson, English, 1870-1900
Chloroform was used as an anaesthetic to stop the patient feeling pain during surgery. It was administered by inhalation – a few drops were put on a cloth covering the patient’s nose. Chloroform replaced ether as the favoured anaesthetic (ether caused irritation to the lungs and vomiting). Chloroform was both quicker and easier to use as it did not need to be heated. In 1847, James Young Simpson (1811-1870) became the first surgeon to use chloroform as an anaesthetic during childbirth.
- Medical Glass-ware
- Object Number:
bottle: 142 mm 45 mm,
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
View manifest in IIIF viewer
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.