Shop round, clear glass, for ether, English, 19th century
Made from clear glass, the label “SP: AETHER” etched into the side is abbreviated Latin for “Spirit of ether”. Ether was first used as an anaesthetic in 1842 and grew in popularity as it was a more effective anaesthetic than contemporary alternatives such as nitrous oxide. Vapours of ether were inhaled from a face mask or an ether-soaked sponge in an inhaler.
This shop round may have been owned by London-based chemists and druggists Savory and Moore (active 1794-1992).