Green glass 'poison' shop round for Morphine, Europe, 1701-1935

Made:
1701-1935 in Europe
maker:
Unknown

Buy this image as a print 

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

Poison bottle for morphine, empty. Full view, white perspex background.
Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Green ribbed poison shop round for morphine with indented painted label in red, gold, black and white.144 mm x diameter 52 mm. Label reads 'LIQ:/MORPH:HYD:'. Empty. Unknown maker, Europe, 1701-1935.

‘LIQ: MORPH. HDY’ is printed on this green ridged glass bottle. It is abbreviated Latin for “Solution of morphine”. Morphine was first isolated in 1803 by German pharmacist Friedrich Sertürner (1783-1841). The name refers to Morpheus, the ancient Greek god of dreams. It is a powerful painkiller that also induces drowsiness and sleepiness and is still extensively used today.

Morphine’s use rose dramatically after the hypodermic needle was developed in the 1850s, which allowed it to be injected directly. Morphine is highly addictive. However, it was sometimes prescribed for alcohol or opium addiction.

Details

Category:
Medical Glass-ware
Object Number:
A600211
Materials:
empty, glass
type:
shop round
credit:
Wellcome Trust

Cite this page

Rights

We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.


Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero


Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence

Using our data

Download

Download catalogue entry as json

Download manifest IIIF

Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.