Ludwig-type stromuhr, London, England, 1920-1940

Made:
1920-1940 in London
maker:
C F Palmer (London) Limited
One of two du Bois-Reymond sledge coils, for physiological use, by C.F. Palmer London, 1920-1940 Gallery view 3/4 Ludwig's stramuhr, for measuring rate of blood flow, probably  by C.F. Palmer, London, 1920-1940. Full view, graduated

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

One of two du Bois-Reymond sledge coils, for physiological use, by C.F. Palmer London, 1920-1940 Gallery view 3/4
Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Ludwig's stramuhr, for measuring rate of blood flow, probably by C.F. Palmer, London, 1920-1940. Full view, graduated
Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Science Museum Group
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Ludwig's stromuhr, for measuring rate of blood flow, probably by C.F. Palmer, London, 1920-1940

A stromuhr is used in physiological experiments on animals to measure the rate of blood flow through a vessel. One part of the glass chamber is connected to the artery (which carries blood away from the heart) and the other to the vein (which carries blood towards the heart). The time taken for the chamber to fill with blood gives the rate of flow.

This type of stromuhr was invented in 1867 by Karl Ludwig (1816-1895), a German physiologist. Probably made by C F Palmer, a physiological instrument maker based in London, this stromuhr was donated by St Bartholomew’s Hospital, where it was used.

Details

Category:
Laboratory Medicine
Object Number:
1981-2136
Materials:
stromuhr, brass (nickel plated) and stromuhr, glass
type:
stromuhr physiology and ludwig, physiology and stromuhr
credit:
St. Bartholomew's Hospital Medical College