Diorama "The Rise of Chemistry", showing a chemical laboratory of the early eighteenth century, English, 1901-1970
Ambrose Godfrey Hanckwitz (1660-1741), a German chemist, set up a drug making laboratory (much like the one in this diorama) in London, 1680. Large furnaces and chemical equipment line the room. Ambrose Godfrey, as he became known, was an assistant to Robert Boyle (1627-1691), an Irish chemist. After Boyle discovered a way of making solid phosphorous in 1680, Godfrey made this the basis of his drug manufacturing business and held the monopoly over this ingredient for forty years. Godfrey’s business went on to become Godfrey & Cooke, a firm of chemists still in business at the beginning of the 1900s. Godfrey also researched spa waters, which were believed to have curative properties.
- Laboratory Medicine
- Object Number:
- visual and verbal communication
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.