Screwbarrel microscope by Culpeper in black sharkskin case, early 18th century
The screwbarrel microscope was introduced in the mid 1700s. It was very popular as it was a cheap, portable microscope that was simple to use. The lenses could be changed easily and were stored in ivory mounts. Six lenses were usually provided with the microscope. Focus was adjusted by screwing the barrel up or down. The ivory slides could hold four specimens. The micro-scope also came with extra slides and covers so more specimens could be studied. This item was made by Edward Culpeper (1670-1737), an optical instrument maker based in London.
- Microscopy (Wellcome)
- Object Number:
- bras, brass (copper, zinc alloy), complete, glass, ivory, leather, velvet, woo and wood (unidentified)
overall (case closed): 60 mm x 85 mm, 30 mm, .08 kg
overall (case open): 33 mm x 114 mm x 150 mm, .08 kg
- screwbarrel microscope
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
View manifest in IIIF viewer
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.