Section of miniature hospital including X-ray department

Made:
1930-1932
maker:
Humphreys

General services, isolation room, X-ray department, hospital block model, part of miniature hospital made for publicity for King Edward's Hospital Fund for London, 1930-1932

This is a section of a miniature hospital made by the King Edward’s Fund for London, a charity that raised money for voluntary hospitals in the city. They hoped that seeing the model would help the public understand the importance of modern hospitals, and develop a sense of responsibility for maintaining them. Public support was essential for the survival of voluntary hospitals during the economic hardship of the interwar years. It was built as a scale model of a 1930s hospital, with everything sixteen times smaller than real life.

Details

Category:
Nursing & Hospital Furnishings
Collection:
Sir Henry Wellcome's Museum Collection
Object Number:
A603147 Pt3
Materials:
asbestos, building (finish), plaster, building (structure), wood, fittings, metal, fittings, plaster and fittings, wood
Measurements:
overall (including base): 900 mm x 680 mm x 1000 mm, 90 kg
overall (as displayed- base interlocks with adjacent block): 900 mm x 675 mm x 1000 mm,
type:
models
taxonomy:
  • visual and verbal communication
credit:
The King's Fund (Loan, Wellcome Trust)