Glass and brass breast pump, in mahogany case, by S. Maw Son & Thompson, London, 1870-1901
Breast pumps were used by mothers to remove their milk if they either had trouble breastfeeding directly or wanted to put their milk in a bottle to feed their babies in a public area. This glass and brass breast pump used a siphon to draw off the milk. The milk was then fed to the baby via a bottle. The pump was made by S. Maw, Son & Thompson of London.
Doctors of this period advised breastfeeding was best for infants. They said babies should be breastfed by the mother if possible, or a wet nurse of ‘good moral character’. Babies during the 1800s might also be fed unboiled cow’s milk, a sugar and water mix from a bottle, or mixtures of milk and sugar with either bread or flour from vessels called pap boats. Dried milk and condensed milk were introduced in the 1860s. However, doctors claimed the milk caused diarrhoea, indigestion and rickets in babies.
- Nursing & Hospital Furnishings
- Object Number:
overall (pump assembled): 54 mm x 170 mm 54 mm,
- breast pump
- furnishing and equipment
- tools & equipment
- Leicester Museum
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
View manifest in IIIF viewer
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.