Metal pendent badge with blue silk cord for an S.C.M. (State Certified Midwife), presented to B.J.M. Glencross in 1947, badge made by Thomas Fattorini, Birmingham, 1947
These badges were given to newly qualified State Certified Midwives (SCM). This particular example was presented to a B J M Glencross in 1947. SCMs were first introduced by an Act of Parliament in 1902, which required midwives to register with a central board. Later, examinations, rules and regulations were also introduced, as was the granting of licenses. This professional qualification greatly improved the status of midwives.
The badge was made by Thomas Fattorini Ltd, a medal maker.
- Nursing & Hospital Furnishings
- Object Number:
- visual and verbal communication
- Mirrielees, Esther
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.