Metal pendent badge with blue silk cord for an S.C.M. (State Certified Midwife), presented to B.J.M. Glencross in 1947, badge made by Thomas Fattorini, Birmingham, 1947
These badges were given to newly qualified State Certified Midwives (SCM). This particular example was presented to a B J M Glencross in 1947. SCMs were first introduced by an Act of Parliament in 1902, which required midwives to register with a central board. Later, examinations, rules and regulations were also introduced, as was the granting of licenses. This professional qualification greatly improved the status of midwives.
The badge was made by Thomas Fattorini Ltd, a medal maker.