Knee support, steel and leather made by patients at the Military Orthopaedic Hospital, Shepherds Bush, 1915-1918
This leather and steel splint was made at the Military Orthopaedic Hospital in Shepherd’s Bush, London. It was designed to keep the knee still and the leg straight, helping injuries to heal.
Wounded First World War soldiers who were actually patients at the hospital made many such splints, supports and prosthetic limbs. This type of work was part of the treatment at the hospital known as ‘curative workshops’ – what we might now call occupational therapy. The workshops not only kept the men occupied but were intended to help them regain the use of injured limbs and allow them to feel useful when out of active military service.
- Object Number:
- furnishing and equipment
- tools & equipment
- orthopaedic equipment
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.