Artificial right leg, metal and plastic without external covering to show construction, by Blatchford, England, 1978-1981
The plastic skin of this artificial leg has been removed to show its construction. The leg has a hydraulic knee and a ball incorporated into the ankle joint to mimic a natural walking action. First World War artificial legs were predominantly wooden. Second World War limbs were made of light metal. However, this limb uses plastic as its main structural element. This makes it lightweight for the wearer. Chas A Blatchford & Sons Ltd made this limb. The company was founded in 1890. It is still in business as Blatchford Limited.
- Object Number:
- artificial leg
- furnishing and equipment
- tools & equipment
- artificial limb
- Blatchfords Ltd.
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
View manifest in IIIF viewer
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.