Artificial left leg, leather and duralumin alloy, English, by Hanger, dated 1926
Until well into the 1900s, the only artificial limbs available to many amputees were simple peg legs and hooks. The number of injured servicemen requiring false limbs after the First World War resulted in improved designs and new materials. This false leg is made from leather and Duralumin. Duralumin is an aluminium and copper alloy. It was used in airships because of its lightness and strength. The leg was made by the Hanger company at Queen Mary’s Hospital, Roehampton in west London. Queen Mary’s opened in 1915. It became a major centre for artificial limb-making and fitting.
- Object Number:
- artificial leg
- furnishing and equipment
- tools & equipment
- artificial limb
- D.H.S.S. (Russell Sq.)
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.