Collection of shop fittings, shelves and cupboards
Collection of shop fittings, shelves and cupboards from the old pharmacy, Hexham, late nineteenth or early 20th century
The Gibson family opened a pharmacy in Hexham, Northumberland, in 1834. The shop's interior remained largely unchanged until it closed in 1978, its shelves still populated by a bewildering array of 'shop rounds' (glass jars that held medication). Most of the shop rounds had labels carrying the abbreviated Latin names of their contents. The museum acquired the entire contents and fittings of the shop in 1979 and displayed it with a faithful replica of the shop front.
- Object Number:
- Gibson, John P
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.