Alarm whistle for use by Warders at Winson Green Mental Hospital, German Silver, by J. Hudson and Co., Birmingham 1890-1914.
Warders at Winson Green Mental Hospital used this alarm whistle. It is representative of the level of institutional security within psychiatric hospitals around the early 20th century. Whistles such as this were part of control measures to curb patients’ disruptive or aggressive behaviour. They were also for the warder to call assistance. It was made of German silver by J. Hudson and Company in Birmingham.