Spade used on St Audry's Hospital farm

Spade used on hospital farm

Workers on the St Audry's Hospital farm used this spade. Opened in 1765, the hospital was originally a workhouse for the poor until it became the Suffolk County Lunatic Asylum in 1827. From 1917, the hospital was also known as St Audry's Hospital for Mental Diseases.

On display

Science Museum: Medicine: The Wellcome Galleries

If you are visiting to see this object, please contact us in advance to make sure that it will be on display.

Details

Category:
Psychology, Psychiatry & Anthropometry
Object Number:
1990-183/25
type:
spade
taxonomy:
  • tools and equipment
  • gangers equipment
credit:
East Suffolk Health Authority

Cite this page

Rights

We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.


Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero


Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence

Using our data

Download

Download catalogue entry as json

View manifest in IIIF viewer

Add to Animal Crossing Art Generator

Download manifest IIIF

Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.