Patent Grinding Machine

Made:
c. 1853

Mechanical pestle and mortar, patented by Henry Goodall in 1853

This automatic mortar was patented in 1853 by Henry Goodall (c. 1810-1886), who owned an apothecary business at St Peter Street, Derby.

On turning the handle, the pestle of this ingenious device moves with a spiral motion, thus reaching all parts of the mortar. It was intended to be used, according to Goodall, for all kinds of salt, colours, inks, paints, pharmaceutical preparations and groceries.

This model may possibly be the prototype constructed by Goodall, as it does not correspond to either of the sizes advertised on his broadsheet.

Details

Category:
Experimental Chemistry
Object Number:
1971-573
type:
pestle
credit:
Sharp, Mrs.