Pair of lead gloves, for use as protective for X-ray technician, 1920 to 1958
A layer of lead incorporated into these gloves helps protect an X-ray technician from harmful radiation. They became standard protective equipment. The gloves are made of cloth. With the lead, they weigh three kilos. They are seen with a protective apron (A606875). This is also lead lined.
X-rays were discovered in 1895 by Wilhelm Conrad Röntgen (1845-1923). The first committee to investigate possible ill effects of X-rays was formed three years later in 1898. Reports of burns and dermatitis due to the rays were frequent by this date.