'Thorascope' fluoroscopic x-ray unit, by General Radiological Ltd., 15/18 Clipstone Street, Great Portland Street, London, W1, England, 1951-1960.
The Thorascope is a fluoroscopic X-ray unit. It relieves the burden on busy hospital X-ray departments. It was most likely found in the consulting rooms of private practitioners or in tuberculosis screening centres. The Thorascope is a compact and self-contained machine. The controls are grouped on a single panel on the left of the fluorescent screen. Only one person is needed to operate the machine.
Fluoroscopic X-rays involved viewing images on a fluorescent screen instead of photographic film. The technique was used extensively in the early years of radiology. Using X-ray machines in tuberculosis centres allowed quick diagnosis and early treatment.
- Object Number:
- furnishing and equipment
- tools & equipment
- Oram, Dr. Sam
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.