Potter Bucky diaphragm, sectioned, English, 1940-1950
Early X-ray plates were blurred due to the scattering of rays by body tissue. Radiologists Gustav Bucky (1880–1963) and Hollis E. Potter (1880-1964) worked independently on this problem from about 1913. A section of the resultant Bucky-Potter Diaphragm is shown. It was placed between the patient and the X-ray film. Parallel lead strips move across inside the wooden casing during an exposure. They block scattered rays travelling at other angles. The lead strips are not visible on the X-ray film because they are moving. The device was first marketed in 1921. It has become standard equipment on X-ray tables.