Galvanic necklace with 2 charms, made by N. Bertrand, Paris, French, 1880-1920
The metal chain of this necklace is made from links of brass, zinc and copper. The charms, which are in the shape of an oval and a cross, are made from brass, copper and steel. The inscription translates from French as “Health, Force Strength…oval electromagnetic”. It also has the maker’s name, “N Bertrand”, and his place of work, “Paris”. The necklace worked as an electrotherapy treatment, in a similar way to using copper bracelets to relieve the pain of rheumatoid arthritis.
- Sir Henry Wellcome's Museum Collection
- Object Number:
- chain, brass, chain, copper, chain, zinc, charm (oval & cross), brass, charm (oval & cross), copper, charm (oval & cross), steel and charm (oval & cross), zinc
overall: 7 mm x 485 mm x 423 mm, 0.042 kg
- furnishing and equipment
- Loan, Wellcome Trust