Hypodermic syringe, metal (plated)
Hypodermic needles came into common use in the second half of the 1800s. They were invented by Scottish doctor Alexander Wood in 1853 – although French surgeon Charles Pravaz was independently developing a similar device at the same time.
Hypodermic needles like these are hollow so drugs can be injected directly into the body. This particular example has a glass barrel with a scale scratched on to the outside to measure how much was being given to the patient. The metal case is personalised with the initials “HC” engraved on the side, possibly indicating the case’s owner. The case contains one spare needle, although there is also room for another needle and three spare barrels.
- Object Number:
needle: 18 mm
- hypodermic syringe
- furnishing and equipment
- tools & equipment
- medical instrument
- drug delivery device
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.