Syringe for blood transfusion, with accessories in metal case, found by Sir John Boyd whilst on active service, French, c.1940
The double-ended blood transfusion apparatus meant that the recipient and donor of the blood could be hooked up to the same device. The whole process took thirty minutes.
The apparatus was invented by Dr Louis Jubé, whose name is printed on the lid of the tin. The inscription translates as “Royal Italian Army”. It is believed that this object was used by Sir John Boyd, most likely Sir John Smith Knox Boyd (1891–1981), a British bacteriologist. He was part of the Royal Army Medical Corps during the Second World War and was responsible for blood transfusion and vaccination services in the Middle East.
- Public Health & Hygiene
- Object Number:
- case, metal, contents, cotton wool, contents, glass, contents, metal and contents, rubber
case: 30 mm x 159 mm x 80 mm,
overall (as displayed): 270 mm x 130 mm x 25 mm,
- furnishing and equipment
- tools & equipment
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
View manifest in IIIF viewer
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.