Red Cross dog collar, leather with metal fittings, plastic Red Cross labels, by A. Kassner of Berlin, 1914 to 1918
Marked with the red cross – a universally recognised medical symbol – this collar was worn by a dog trained to locate dead and wounded soldiers during the First World War. Usually under the cover of night such dogs searched the no man’s land between opposing trenches. In Germany, they were known as Sanitäshunde – the Allies called them medical dogs. The dogs were able to tell the difference between a dead soldier and one that was merely unconscious.
Some dogs were equipped with bottles of brandy and rope so stretcher bearers and rescue parties including medics could find the injured man. Dogs were also used as messengers and were employed again in the Second World War.
- Object Number:
- dog collar
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.