Two glass ampoules of dysentery vaccine, Paris, France, 1917

Made:
1917 in Paris
maker:
Laboratoire de l'Armée
Ampoules, 2, of dysentery vaccine, by Laboratoire de l'Armee, French, c. 1916. Graduated black perspex background.

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Ampoules, 2, of dysentery vaccine, by Laboratoire de l'Armee, French, c. 1916. Graduated black perspex background.
Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Glass ampoules, 2, of dysentery vaccine, by Laboratoire de l'Armee, French, c. 1916

This vaccine was used to vaccinate soldiers against dysentery. The disease affects the small intestine, causing diarrhoea and vomiting, and is spread through contaminated food and water.

The name of the Laboratoire de l'Armée, which made this vaccine, translates as the “Army Laboratory”. This vaccine was made for the French Army during the First World War and was produced in 1917. It was important to immunise soldiers against dysentery in order to maintain a fit and healthy fighting force.

Details

Category:
Public Health & Hygiene
Object Number:
A629779
type:
vaccine
taxonomy:
  • drug
  • furnishing and equipment
  • container - receptacle
  • vessel