Ampoule of calf vaccine lymph in original carton by the Jenner Institute for Calf Lymph, Ltd., 73, 75 and 77, Battersea, Church Rd SW11, English, 1956
After calves had been inoculated with smallpox, the lymph containing white blood cells which fight against disease are extracted and preserved in capillary tubes. This is then used to vaccinate people against smallpox. Calf lymph replaced the human kind in 1898 as human lymph spread other infections, such as syphilis. The vaccine was made by the Jenner Institute for Calf Lymph Ltd.