Bow Nuremberg spectacles, copper inside open end bow case, brass, German, 1651-1710
The shape of the nose bridge gives the name bow frame spectacles. They are made from a single length of copper wire. Thread has been wound around the bridge for added comfort by the owner. These are typical of spectacle design in the 1600s. They are named after the main centre for spectacle making: Nuremberg in Germany. They were difficult to wear. The wearer had to tilt his or her head back slightly so they would stay on. They appear with a matching brass case.
- Object Number:
- furnishing and equipment
- tools & equipment
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
View manifest in IIIF viewer
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.