Electrical chimes made by George Adams, Fleet Street, London, 1781-1790.
Electrical chimes were a common feature of eighteenth century lecture courses. These were probably made by the younger George Adams, instrument maker to King George III, for the then Prince of Wales, the future King George IV. They use the same principle as the electric orrery: charge is made to stream from metal points creating an electric wind. In this case the wind turns the fly so that a brass clapper strikes the bells in turn, sounding the notes of an octave.