Operative splint, used by Lister

Made:
1865 in London
maker:
Arnold and Sons

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Science Museum Group
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Operative splint, used by Lister, made by Arnold and Sons, English, 1865

Splint devised by Lister for the excision of the wrist for caries. The cork pad supports the hand in a natural half-flexed position and prevents the splint from slipping upwards.

Details

Category:
Surgery
Collection:
Sir Henry Wellcome's Museum Collection
Object Number:
A41709
Materials:
cork and wood
type:
operative splints and orthopaedics (support) operative splints and orthopaedics (support)
credit:
James Arnold and Sons