Basil Hall's ovariotomy clamp, for Wertheim's operation, nickel-plated steel, by Down Bros. of London, 1910 to 1920
This instrument is composed of nickel-plated steel and was manufactured by Down Bros. of London. Basil Hall designed this clamp to be used during ovariotomy operations of the type devised by Ernst Wertheim (1864-1920) of Vienna. The operation was first undertaken in 1906, and involved the removal of the uterus and all its appendages. It was developed to treat patients with cervical cancer.
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.