Amputation saw by Weiss, c. 1850, 62, The Strand
Despite resembling a carpentry saw and being less ornate than some earlier devices, this saw still provided a good environment in which germs could thrive. John Weiss was a surgical instrument maker based in the Strand, London, an ideal location from which to supply the nearby teaching hospitals with instruments and equipment. The company began in 1787 and still exists today as John Weiss & Sons, part of the Haag-Streit Group of manufacturing companies. It now specialises in ophthalmic instruments.
- Object Number:
blade: 254 mm x 64 mm,
- amputation saw
- furnishing and equipment
- tools & equipment
- surgical equipment
- surgical instrument
- surgical saw
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
View manifest in IIIF viewer
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.