Tourniquet

Made:
1823-1829 in London
maker:
Weiss, John

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Science Museum Group
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Tourniquet, Petit's type, brass screw device, webbing strap and leather pad, manufactured by Weiss, c. 1850

The tourniquet is used to apply pressure to stop heavy bleeding, especially during amputations. John-Louis Petit (1674-1760), a Parisian surgeon, was the first of many to introduce improvements to the tourniquet, which was invented by Ambroise Paré in the 1500s. In 1718, Petit attached a circular bandage to a screw and a leather pad to allow pressure to be focussed on a specific point. It had the advantage of not requiring an assistant to apply constant pressure to the bleeding and became the most commonly used tourniquet throughout the 1800s due to its simple but effective design.

Details

Category:
Surgery
Object Number:
A600728
Materials:
brass (copper, zinc alloy), incomplete, linen webbing and steel (metal)
Measurements:
brass screw device: 81 mm x 56 mm x 37 mm,
overall (unrolled): 81 mm x 830 mm x 40 mm, 0.18 kg
type:
tourniquet