Alloy and cut glass tie pin, surgically extracted from a stomach at Charing Cross Hospital in 1918, English, 1900-1918
Made of metal and glass, this tie pin was swallowed by a child who was taken to Charing Cross Hospital in London on the evening of 11 September 1918. After examining the throat nothing was found. Fortunately, a quarter of an hour later the child vomited up the pin. Some children seem unable to avoid the temptation to experiment in this way at some point in their lives and today such visitors to hospital accident and emergency departments are by no means a rarity.
The pin was donated to the Wellcome collections in 1930 by Claude E Woakes, a laryngologist, and is one of a number of ‘surgically removed objects’ which are held in the medical collections.
- Object Number:
overall (box): 27 mm x 65 mm x 135 mm, .02kg
- tie pin
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
View manifest in IIIF viewer
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.