Central forces machine made for King George III by George Adams in 1762, Fleet Street, London. The machine comprising two axles or axis and a central turning wheel, plus box with sliding lid. It was used for demonstration of experiments on the philosophical table.
The central forces machine was made for King George III in 1762, just two years after he ascended the throne in 1760. It is the most intricate piece of apparatus that Adams made for the mechanics lectures and was intended to be used with the philosophical table.. It is the mechanism which provided whirling for a number of experiments, including the measurement of centripetal forces. It consists of two vertical axes on which can be mounted rods with detachable weights, which can be spun horizontally by turning a wheel.
- King George III
- Object Number:
box: 80 mm x 115 mm x 65 mm,
axle: 500 mm x 770 mm x 120 mm,
wheel: 335 mm x 410 mm diameter
- demonstation equipment
- King's College, London
- Unlinked Name