Glass bottle for chlorodyne tincture

Made:
1860-1890 in England
maker:
Unknown

Small glass bottle with glass stopper containing a trace of chlorodyne tincture. 81 mm. Part of an antidote case of 6 drugs owned by Professor George Harley. Handwritten label reads, 'Chlorodyne'. Chlorodyne is a mixture of laudanum (an alcoholic solution of opium), tincture of cannabis and chloroform. It was invented in the 19th century by Dr. John Collis Browne as a treatment for cholera. It was sold as a patent medicine in the 19th and early 20th century and was used to treat coughs, diarrhoea, insomnia and to relieve pain. English, 1860-1890.

Details

Category:
Materia Medica & Pharmacology
Object Number:
A633666 Pt6
Materials:
chlorodyne, glass, trace
type:
opium
credit:
Wellcome Trust

Cite this page

Rights

We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.


Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero


Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence

Using our data

Download

Download catalogue entry as json

Download manifest IIIF

Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.