Container for 'Broxil' oral penicillin tablets

Made:
1979-1981 in Brentford
maker:
Beecham Research Laboratories Limited

Buy this image as a print 

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Metal container, empty, used for Broxil oral penicillin tablets, made by Beecham Research Laboratories, Brentford, 197[-]-198[-]

‘Broxil’ was one of the first semi-synthetic penicillins to be produced. It was introduced in 1959 by Beecham, a major pharmaceutical company (now part of GlaxoSmithKline ). Broxil could be taken in tablet form and as it is acid resistant, it is not destroyed in the stomach but can instead survive long enough to reach the blood stream.

Details

Category:
Materia Medica & Pharmacology
Object Number:
1976-630 Pt19
Materials:
metal, paper (fibre product)
type:
phenethicillin, potassium
credit:
Donated by Imperial Chemical Industries Limited (Pharmaceuticals Division)

Cite this page

Rights

We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.


Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero


Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence

Using our data

Download

Download catalogue entry as json

Download manifest IIIF

Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.