Small walnut(?) medicine chest with 2 hinged front sections and hinged lid, decorated with metal strap work mounts, containing 11 labelled glass bottles with glass stoppers wrapped in parchment and string, most with contents, 10 packets of powders, brush, list of contents, 4 small glass containers, prepared by Fratelli Zanelli, Bologna, Gorga collection, Italian, 1851-1910
The medicine chest contains fifteen glass bottles with glass stoppers covered with parchment and string, along with boxes of powder and accessories. Most still have their original contents.
The chest is from the personal collection of the Italian tenor Evangelista Gennaro Gorga (1865-1957). Gorga’s collection was of ‘medical antiquities’, ranging from antiquity to the 1700s. Gorga sold part of his collection to Henry Wellcome in 1924. A second part was offered and bought in 1936 while Gorga was experiencing financial difficulties.