Steam locomotive and tender, Midland Railway, No.1000 4-4-0 compound, designed by S.W. Johnson, built at Derby in 1902, rebuilt Derby 1914, withdrawn in 1951.
The Midland Railway 1000 Class of 4-4-0 steam locomotive was designed by S W Johnson for passenger work. They were built with a 3-cylinder compound arrangement, but after five were built Johnson’s successor Richard Deeley modified the design to produce a simplified version.
The use of compound locomotives in the UK was never as widespread as it was in other countries, but 45 were built by the Midland Railway and a further 195 by the London, Midland & Scottish Railway after Grouping.
No. 1000 was the first original locomotive that Johnson designed, and was built at Derby in 1902. The number 1000 was retained post-Grouping as the locomotive ran as part of the LMS. It was finally withdrawn and selected for preservation in 1951 and is displayed in the form in which it was rebuilt in 1914. In 1959 the locomotive was restored to its 1907 Midland Railway livery for working special trains before being put on display in the Clapham Museum.