metal fragments from the "Milly" overbridge


Metal fragments, two pieces of metal mounted on wooden board, pieces of wrought iron torn from the "Milly" overbridge near Twyford by the barrel of an anti-aircraft gun becoming elevated whilst in transit by rail from Great Western Railway Goods Depot at South Lambeth to Watchet. 24 August 1925.

On August 24th 1925 a number of anti-aircraft guns were in transit from the GWR goods depot to Watchet.

Gun number 158A.A.R.A was loaded on a GWR Loriot wagon with its barrel pointing forward. Due to the failure of the mechanism holding it in place, the muzzle of this gun shifted and became elevated, piercing the web of the eastern main girder of the bridge.

On display

National Railway Museum: Warehouse

If you are visiting to see this object, please contact us in advance to make sure that it will be on display.


Miscellanea & Curiosities
Object Number:
metal fragments
British Rail, Historical Relics

Cite this page


We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.

Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero

Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence

Using our data


Download catalogue entry as json

Download manifest IIIF

Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.