Poster, London Midland & Scottish Railway, Shrewsbury School, by Norman Wilkinson, 1938. The School seen from the river. Text: Shrewsbury School was founded by Edward V1 in 1552, and was described by Camden in Queen Elizebeth's reign as "the largest school in all England". It attained an unrivalled reputation for classical scholarship under the three 19th century Headmasters, Butler, Kennedy and Moss; and was one of the seven Public Schools recognised by the Public Schools Act of 1868. In 1882 the school was moved from its Jacobean buildings in the town to the poesent site above the Severn on Kingsland. Shrewsbury possesses a remarkable library of early printed books and MSS., which dates back to 1596. Among the many distinguished Salopians are Philip Sydney, Fulke Grenville, Halifax "The Trimmer", Charles Darwin, Samuel Butler (of "Erewhon") etc. LMS logo and School Coat-of-Arms. Other ids: ERO53351. Format: quad royal.
- Railway Posters, Notices & Handbills
- Object Number:
- Onslow's Auctioneers
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.