Poster, London Midland and Scottish Railway. 'Rugby School' by Norman Wilkinson. View of School. Text: LMS logo and School Coat-of-Arms. Rugby School was founded in 1567 by Lawrence Sheriff of London, a native of Rugby or Brownsover. The School was moved to its present site in 1750, and the buildings shown above date from the beginning of the 19th century. The view is taken from the School Close, where, as is shown on the stone tablet ahown in the picture, "William Webb Ellis, with a fine disregard for the rules of football as played in his time, first took the ball in his arms and ran with it, thus originating the distinctive feature of the Rugby game, A.D. 1823". Famous Public Schools on the LMS Other ids: ERO53351.Format: quad royal. Dimensions: 40 x 50 inches, 1016 x 1270 mm.
- Railway Posters, Notices & Handbills
- Object Number:
- commercial records and equipment
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.