Lanchester saloon car, 1937. The Lanchester Engine Company Ltd was started in 1899 by three brothers, George, Frederick and Frank. Frederick Lanchester was one of the most influential automobile engineers of the 19th and 20th century and even though he officially left the company in 1909 was still heavily involved on a consultancy basis. In 1931 Lanchester Motor Company merged with the British Daimler company, which was owned by BSA. George and Frank continued to work for Daimler and this is an example of the Lanchester Eighteen, the first Lanchester model to come out of Diamler, still designed by George Lanchester, and produced between 1932 and 1940. However George left in 1932 and by 1956 the Lanchester marque was no longer used.
- Road Transport
- Object Number:
- Bagnall-Godfrey, G.E.
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.