'Quadrant' shaft driven bicycle, 1897-1899

Made:
1897-1899 in Birmingham
maker:
Quadrant Cycle Company Limited

Chainless Quadrant bicycle driven by Lloyd's cross roller gear, 1898

This chainless bicycle is driven by a Lloyd's cross roller gear which was patented by W. and J. Lloyd and W. Priest in 1897. It was made by the Quadrant Cycle Co. of Birmingham in 1898. Chainless bicycles became popular in the 1890s as they avoided the risk of the rider's clothing becoming caught in the chain, leading to an abrupt stop or crash. Unfortunately, as they only had one gear they were only suitable for flat terrain. Their popularity was brief, however, as the problem of clothing catching in the chain was solved by the development of chain guards.

Details

Category:
Road Transport
Object Number:
1926-228
Measurements:
overall (estimate): 1000 x 2000 x 500 mm
type:
bicycle
credit:
Patten, M.