Three-colour signal lamp
One handed three-colour signal lamp for railway signalling.
This is a one-handed railway signal lamp patented in 1868 by Brown and Jones. The casing is cylindrical, and has at the back a colza lamp with a concave reflector, and a flat glass in the door at the front.
Between the oil lamp and the glass are three hinged frames which are connected to knobs at the top - by pressing these knobs the coloured glass fitted to the lamp can be placed in front of the flame, changing the colour of the signal.
- Object Number:
- tools and equipment
- Cowdy, J.
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.