Model of Stockton & Darlington Railway locomotive no. 5 "Royal George", built by Timothy Hackworth.
The "Royal George" was built by Timothy Hackworth in 1827 for the coal traffic on the Stockton & Darlington Railway, and was the most powerful engine then on the line. It had inverted vertical cylinders with direct drive, and needed six-coupled wheels because it was so heavy - over 12 tons.
It is believed that Hackworth himself made this model, scale 1:16, to demonstrate to the directors of the Stockton and Darlington Railway the soundness of his design. The Science Museum purchased it in 1898 from a descendant of Hackworth.