Leather flying helmet, with head phones 10A/12401, oxygen mask and microphone 10A/12570. Air Ministry, c. 1946.
At the outbreak of war, flying helmets had changed little since the First World War, except that the fittings for goggles and oxygen masks were provided. The flow of oxygen to the detachable mask was controlled by a manually set regulator. Gosport tubes or radio microphones were used for communication between the crew.